Saturday, November 3, 2018

Hair Care Routine

One of the questions I get asked the most frequently is what I do to my hair to get it long and keep it healthy. It's been a lifelong process of trying to figure out what works, and after two shoulder-length haircuts that were colossal mistakes (I just do not look good with short hair), I found some tips and tricks that helped me grow my hair out and keep it from looking like witch hair (this is a legitimate concern).

Hair care starts in the shower. First, I only wash my hair probably 3-4 out of seven days. Not only is it a huge hassle to do all of this nightly, but it also dries everything out, which is not great.

I've tried vinegar rinses, masks, and a million shampoos. I don't think it really matters what shampoo you use as long as it isn't a dollar bottle or one of those weird 6-in-1 deals that dudes use. I opt for either Pantene Pro-V or the Garnier Grow Strong shampoo and conditioner. Again, I don't see the point in paying $20 for a bottle of shampoo, but you do you. So I start with washing it and rinsing, and then I put on the conditioner and leave it set while I do everything else. Then rinse with cold water only. It seals your cuticles and makes it shiny.

Once I'm done with that process, I'll either scrunch my hair (more on that another time) or just typically opt to style it. First, do not come your hair wet. DO NOT. I just spritz on this USmooth heat protectant spray which is $20 but also lasts for like six months or more, and my hair's long. It smells amazing and essentially works as a leave-in conditioner as well as a thermal spray.

I leave my hair air dry (unless I'm going somewhere and only have an hour from the time I step in the shower until the time I walk out the door (I try REALLY hard not to ever have this happen because it sucks)). I don't wrap it in a towel. There was a period of time I noticed a lot of little breakaway fuzzies around my hairline if I wore it up, and that look is cute on babies but not on me, so no more of that. I might blast it with a dryer a bit the next morning if it's still a little damp, and then after that I just use my flat iron to smooth and flip the ends.

Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...