Thursday, March 2, 2017

Creating Ourselves Anew

We, as humans, spend a lot of time trying to better ourselves. Every new year, or new month, or new week, we make resolutions to work out more, eat healthier, be more generous, more loving, more present, more involved... Sometimes, in the midst of all of that, we fall a little short-- not intentionally, of course; but trying to be perfect can be overwhelming, and things fall through the cracks. We fall away from ourselves and get caught up in an endless flurry of activity, of more, more, more.

I recently received a letter from my friend Terry. We've been friends for 14 years at this point, and we've written letters from time to time after she moved three hours away. This letter came unexpectedly, breaking a spell of silence (life happens!), and with it came a book, that she felt inclined to send me, and for which I am anxiously awaiting a chance to read. It gave me pause, knowing that someone I haven't seen or really spoken to since November read something, thought of me, and mailed me a book.

Yesterday marked the beginning of a new month. March rode in on a windstorm, but it was a welcome transition from the tumult that rocked me through February. With the dawn of March also came Ash Wednesday, the beginning of what Christians recognize as Lent.

During the Lenten season, we are called to give up something that consumes us-- social media, soda, chocolate-- to remind us how in the grander scheme of things, Christ sacrificed His life so that we may be forgiven.

Oftentimes, we choose to do good deeds rather than, say, abstaining from a select food item the course of forty days. I actually joined a challenge called 40 Days of Giving, where each morning I receive a reflection and a challenge (in three degrees of intensity) to my inbox, and I can work towards being a better me by doing something each day for others.

Incidentally, Terry loves Tolkien.
I am not trying to detract from any form of sacrifice or self-improvement, but instead saying that one of the best ways to improve is through the personality and the soul-- the more caring, compassionate, and loving we are, the happier we will be.

I've already been reflecting a great deal, and a song from my Catholic school days, about how we rise again from ashes and create ourselves anew, and I think about how awesome it is that in life, at any point in time, we are given the chance to start over. It is truly something wonderful-- that with love and support and desire, anyone can change their journey.

 "Not all who wander are lost" is a favorite quote of mine, but even so, sometimes I think it's okay to get a little lost. It just means we're busy creating our own paths.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...