Sunday, June 12, 2022

Laundry Woes

This is my dream laundry space (a far cry from my current situation, haha!).


 I have been drowning in laundry this entire weekend. In between life’s other little moments, I have been switching out a sea of laundry from floor to washer, from washer to dryer, from dryer to folded in baskets. 

Usually I love doing laundry. I might be alone in that, but for the sake of honesty in this little space, I feel compelled to share that. I remember being so excited when my mum finally trusted me to do everyone’s laundry when I was a kid, and since then it’s become such a soothing process for me. I view it as a labor of love— folding someone’s socks or t-shirts is such a simple act but it’s a kindness.

We have been so incredibly busy that the laundry has just been piling up. There were sweaters down there! I haven’t worn a sweater in like a month! And we switched out the quilts, and add sheets and towels to the regular daily clothing changes and it was just a lot. 

Today I tried to remind myself of how much I enjoy this small but weirdly time-consuming chore of cold cycles and tumble dry low. It forced me to slow down a lot, which is nice because life has been moving at high speed. 

My suggestion next time you have to do any sort of menial task: try to think of it as a meditative experience. Slow down and really enjoy it for what it is, and think about how peaceful you’ll feel once you’ve completed that pile of dishes or laundry or gone through that pile of random stuff you’ve been meaning to get to for weeks. 

If you need me, I’ll be trying to fold fitted sheets and stuffing the duvet back into its cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...