Monday, November 23, 2020

Travel Essentials (Because I Miss It)

 The other day, a couple friends and I were talking about how much we miss traveling. I've never been out of the country, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming of little provincial towns in France, sleeping in a glass igloo in Iceland and looking at the Northern Lights, or walking through cobblestone streets in a Mediterranean village. 

At this point, though, I would take something closer to home. We postponed our wedding, which was a drag for a number of reasons, including the time we were looking forward to spending together, just Shells and I, exploring a new place. We cancelled a trip we had scheduled to spend Halloweekend in Salem and New Haven. 

The books I read do a good job of transporting me to a different time and place, but for those of you who, like me, are chomping at the bit to hit the road again, I've compiled a list of my travel essentials so you're ready to go!

1) a hat-- for me, this varies between beanies and fedoras, but I don't think you can ever go wrong in any season with a wide brimmed hat (effortlessly cool in fall/winter, sun protection in spring/summer). Lack of Color or Yellow 108 are my favorites. 

2) a scarf-- this one is Madewell, but I've got some from my mum, some from random little boutiques, and the ever-wonderful blanket scarf, which doubles up as a shawl when it's too cold on a train/plane/car ride

3) reading material-- always at least one book and one magazine

4) essential oils-- admittedly, a fairly new addition for me, but once you know how great peppermint, tea tree, or lavender oil is in a pinch, you won't leave home without it. 

5) The Five Minute Journal-- this makes many of my lists. It keeps me on track with gratitude and there is a definite shift in my anxious mind when I force myself to focus on the positive. I also like to keep a record of the fun I have on a trip, and even if a full journaling session isn't on your itinerary, who can't spare five minutes a day?

6) sunscreen-- I recently have been vacillating between a basic Aveeno mineral sunscreen and this No. 7 cream my mum recommended to me (thanks to the little line in my forehead that doesn't quite go away now for making me really up my skincare game). 

7) my makeup trinity-- whether I am cabining or road tripping or taking a longer trip, I will not leave home without my chapstick, Glossier cloud paint (I picked beam because it's got a nice natural peachy glow) and Maybelline The Rocket mascara. I've been using these for at least five years (minus the chapstick, which I came out of the womb with, I think) and have zero complaints.

8) Neutrogena facial cleansing wipes-- these are wonderful for a pick-me-up after travel (seriously, why does sitting in a car for 16 hours wreak havoc on oil glands?) or even as a quick face wash option if we are camping. I like the lavender scented ones. 

9) a portable phone charger-- Amazon has some great ones. 

10) a good dry shampoo (Batiste has a nice little travel-sized bottle).


What are your travel essentials? Where are you planning to go once it's safe to adventure again? 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...