Sunday, August 9, 2020

Things to Do as the Weather Cools

August rushed in fairly quickly, bringing with it the cicadas and slightly cooler temperatures that make the end of summer seem inevitable and had me yearning for sweaters and flannel-scented candles-- especially after the last two days of scorching heat.

Shelley and I spent the first week of August enjoying the rain with a few of our favorite things to do once the weather cools-- not cold enough to necessarily warrant autumnal activities, but definitely things we couldn't bring ourselves to do during the incessant 90+ degree days. Here's a list of some end of summer favorites!


1) Go for a hike. Find a new trail and go for it!

2) Have a bonfire-- a nice way to social distance among friends; plus, s'mores. Always s'mores. 

3) Have a movie marathon (good for rainy days). 

4) Have a game night (ditto).

5) Cook a meal and eat it on the porch. 

6) Go to the greenhouse and pick out some plants. By the end of summer, my garden is either exploding or pretty sad, and I like to have some greenery inside with us too. 

7) Ride bikes-- infinitely more fun sans humidity. 

8) Watch a movie outside-- projector, laptop, whatever works. 

9) Go stargazing-- you probably don't need to leave your yard for this one. 

10) Catch a summer sunset together-- those colors are unreal. Grab a blanket, find a spot, and go!








Yesterday, we went on a two hour hike and explored among the wildflowers. It was a little warm in the sun, but the shade of the trees made it worth it! There were so many butterflies, bees, and beautiful colors. Summer is hurrying away, and even though I can't wait to break into the goodness of fall, I am still looking forward to doing the activities on our list before that happens!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...