Sunday, March 29, 2020

Music Soothes My Soul

For as long as I can remember, and probably even before, music has been a huge part of my life. It's been the thing that soothed me when nothing else could. Whether I was an angsty teen listening to classic rock under a haze of incense and twinkle lights or driving around in the sunshine listening to Mraz, or crying through loss to a Coldplay album, it has been a constant comfort in my life.

When I got my iPod WAY back when that was a thing, I had an 80GB one that was filled with more music than one soul could listen to, so I made playlists of the favorites. One playlist was called Sunshine and filled my soul with happiness-- it's been tweaked through the years and delivered me safely along multiple road trips. I've listened to it on sunny days and on days where I needed a little warmth and joy in my life. I've sung into my hairbrush more than once to these songs.

I also have a Chill playlist, which is exactly what it sounds like-- the kind of ambient music that lulls you to sleep or calms you down in the midst of anxiety.

Throughout this whole quarantine experience, I've been listening to the Waitress soundtrack or random French cafe music. Shelley has been favoring Dr. Dre's Chronic album. But when I want music to dance to, cook to, get me into the right mindset, I've been leaning on these two playlists.
Chilling in the Sunshine 

I am sharing my top ten picks from each playlist here!

Sunshine:
1) "The Woods" by Hollow Coves
2) "&Run" by Sir Sly
3) "No Going Back" by Yuno
4) "Dreams" by Beck
5) "My Go Away Dream" by Not the King
6) "Superposition" by Young the Giant
7) "Arlandria" by Foo Fighters
8) "The Emotion" by BORNS
9) "True to Myself" by Ziggy Marley
10) "Calico Skies" by Paul McCartney

Chill:
1) "The River" by Groove Armada
2) "Somersault" by Zero 7
3) "Pocket Change" by One Less Reason
4) "Show Me Where I Belong" by Extreme Music
5) "Cherry Blossom Girl" by Air
6) "Cold Hearts" by Club 8
7) "Draw Your Swords" by Angus & Julia Stone
8) "Telescope" by Boom Forest
9) "Woman" by City & Colour
10) "Someone Who Loves Me" by Sara Bareilles

Let me know if you check any of the songs out-- I hope it helps soothe you through these crazy times. If you have any recommendations, feel free to leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heads Carolina, Tails California

 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’ve asked that question a lot lately, both to my family and myself.  I never thought I’d st...